OK, I am freakin' out!

Monday, May 29, 2006


It was ok, when my oldest Grandaughter became a teenager. I felt kinda old but that is to be expected. She IS a teenager! It really doesn't feel like that long ago that I was a teenager! (Boy, we can convince ourselves of anything!) All in all, I handled it pretty well!

This girl is literally only 4 pounds from having to legally be in a car seat, she is so small! As she is maturing, some things make themselves quite apparent. Like where did she get those "perky" things anyway! Ok, I looked back at some old pics of her mother and me, yeah ok, I can deal with that, I guess!

I even did ok with her first job interview...and subsequent job. I am not living in a fairy tale world...I know she is growing up! But what I am having trouble handling is this...

Today she went on her first date, alone with a boy! Aghhhh! My daughter is trying to tell me that it is ONLY a movie! Hmphhhh! Has she lost her memory? Only a movie? Ok, it was in the afternoon and their parents dropped them off and picked them up, but, but, but...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not a date anyway...its "hanging out". Geeze Grandma get it straight.

:)

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww she even commented on your entry hehehe...I can understand you're freakin' out..it's what parents/grandparents do...cant help it! we care and love too much!

1:59 AM  
Blogger ...jus me said...

Susan, actually, that was my daughter, correcting my termanology! (as per our sweet little 14 yr. old)

5:47 AM  
Blogger OptyMyst said...

Bless you Melanie, for caring about Grandma. My youngest is 22, and I have been through this period five times with my own kids. Granddaughter is 8, and Melanie, you are one lucky girl as I have considered finding a nice, remote, deserted island for my granddaughter's new home.

Hang in there, Grandma, and remember Melanie, you don't have to grow up all alone. Harry Chapin said so.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful girl...all done up with girls and those sunglasses....wow she is gorgeous.

Jerri Ann
jareason@gmail.com
www.acracknlife.squarespace.com

6:39 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

My daughter is 18 and is JUST about to go on her first date with a boy and that is to her school ball.
No 13 year old dating in this house lol.BTW it is Audition time again at my blog !

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only when you have kids of your own, you realize what you have done to your parents. My poor mom...

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do understand your post; my granddaughter just turned 16 years old. I posted her picture under "Baby got her blue jeans on" in my diary. She has been toeing the modeling world, but wants to be a vet some day. I too recall her being a tiny little one and look back through pictures thinking…where has the time gone? Your granddaughter is gorgeous, she looks all grown up and entering the best years of her life. Then again being a grandma is a second go around at the best years of my life. Sandyz

3:56 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Only a movie... That's denial talkin' ;)

12:09 PM  
Blogger ...jus me said...

Kimmy, no more picture of snick's? Glad to see you are reading some blogs tho...I know it is hard to feel well enough sometimes. I feel honored! Be well!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kimmy. It's never *only* a movie. Good luck with it all. :)

Wendy directed me here today.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. It seems like just yesterday I had the same exact hairdo your beautiful grandaughter has in the pic. My son is only 1 and it already freaks me out that he will be dating one day!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home